Investigating Sheriff Finds No Reason So Far To Charge Tony Stewart
The sheriff in charge of investigating Saturday's crash in which Tony Stewart hit and killed driver Kevin Ward Jr. said that there is "no evidence so far to file criminal charges against Stewart." Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff Philip Povero said that "his department continues to gather information, asking fans who were at the race to turn over video of the crash." Stewart withdrew from yesterday's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Watkins Glen (CHARLOTTE OBSERVER, 8/11).
Plymouth (Ind.) Speedway last night in a statement on its website said that Stewart "will not race Saturday at the track in his home state" (Toledo BLADE, 8/11). Meanwhile, there was a "deafening silence" on the incident at yesterday's Cup race. There was "no moment of silence" for Ward, and Rev. David Fife in his pre-race invocation "made no mention of the loss of life the night before, instead thanking God for the weather on race day" (N.Y. DAILY NEWS, 8/11).
USA Today runs a series of stories on the incident, previewing its coverage with the front-page headline, "Death On A Dirt Track Clouds NASCAR Image" (THE DAILY). The AP's Wawrow & Gelston write, "The sport was left reeling from a tragedy that could have ripple effects from the biggest stock car series down to weeknight dirt track racing" (AP, 8/10).