Game Changers: Gillian Zucker
Zucker leads the charge at Auto Club Speedway’s
Lefty’s Family Fun Day & 5K.
In her current role as the president of Auto Club Speedway, she has developed a children’s reading program that has helped the California track over the past seven years double the number of families who bring their kids to races. She also began hosting an annual Hispanic festival and marketing to the local Hispanic community. Those efforts have helped increase the percentage of Hispanic spectators for races from 8 percent to 40 percent of the total crowd.
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received?: My father once told me, “Don’t take to heart the negative things people say about you. Most of the nice things they say aren’t really true, either.”
- What advice would you give to yourself 10 years ago?: Put people first, and the projects will take care of themselves.
- Person who had the biggest influence on your career in sports: Bill France Jr. He was tough, demanding and brilliant.
- One attribute I look for when hiring is …: The right attitude. Aptitude can be taught.
- My vision of success is …: Creating lasting memories for fans at our facility that they could not have anywhere else.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
“Gillian was a driving force in IndyCar’s return to Southern California this year. In fact, if not for her relentless pursuit of a race, I don’t think we would have had our finale there. She’s dedicated to the success of Auto Club Speedway, and her passion is contagious. She’s one of the best promoters in motorsports.”
- Randy Bernard, IndyCar Series CEO