FIFA's Valcke Says Curitiba Stadium 'Moving In Right Direction' To Meet Deadline
FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke believes that work on the World Cup stadium in Curitiba "is moving in the right direction," according to the AFP. Valcke issued a warning to the Curitiba authorities last month that "it risked being dropped from hosting the four games" it is scheduled to host in June, before he changed tack a few days later and said that he "expected stadium delivery in late April or early May," but he wanted to see "real progress" by Feb. 18. However, FIFA said Tuesday that "things were beginning to look positive" (AFP, 2/5). IANS reported Brazil Sports Minister Aldo Rebelo "vowed to do all to keep Curitiba as a 2014 FIFA World Cup host city." Rebelo: “We are doing all we can so that Curitiba remains in the World Cup. We have until February 18 to make a decision. I am working so that we are successful in our efforts” (IANS, 2/5).