Turkey Unrest Triggers Safety Concerns For Upcoming Mediterranean Games
Violent protests across several major Turkish cities since the end of May "have raised concerns for the safety of the upcoming Mediterranean Games in the country's coastal city of Mersin," according to Karolos Grohmann of REUTERS. In a letter addressed to 2013 Mediterranean Games organizers, the Int'l Committee of Mediterranean Games is "asking for security assurances and more information regarding the on-going demonstrations." In the letter addressed to Turkey's Olympic Committee Head Ugur Erdener and to Mersin Mediterranean Games organizers, ICMG Secretary General Isidoros Kouvelos said, "I am writing to express, on behalf of my colleagues, our great concern and sympathy for the unfortunate events that have occurred in Turkey." The Mediterranean Games organizers said that all measures had been taken for safe competitions this month with PM Tayyip Erdogan "inaugurating new venues on Sunday." Organizers said in a statement, "Turkey has an excellent safety and security record when it comes to major sporting events over the last decade, and athletes, officials and fans can be confident of experiencing those same high standards" (REUTERS, 6/10).