Ecclestone Expects 19 F1 Races In 2013, But None In Turkey, Austria
F1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone said that F1 appears likely to have 19 races next year despite organizers "tweaking the calendar to create space for a 20th round in Europe," according to Alan Baldwin of REUTERS. Speaking to Austria's Kleine Zeitung newspaper, the 82-year-old "poured cold water" on suggestions that the country's grand prix could be reinstated after a 10-year absence to take the vacant July 21 slot. Ecclestone was asked about speculation that a race could be held at Spielberg's revamped Red Bull-owned circuit and said, "Really? Who says that? Until now I have not talked about this with anyone." He added that the lack of hotels in that part of rural Austria "remained a problem" (REUTERS, 12/12). In London, Byron Young reported Ecclestone also revealed that the Turkish Grand Prix is "unlikely to go ahead." The Turkish government has vetoed suggestions it "put money into filling the gap on the calendar vacated by the cancelled New Jersey race." And without the extra funds, Ecclestone said that the race slated for July 21 is "unlikely to go ahead." Turkey's motorsport federation said that government funding "would be required" but the country's sports minister ruled that out last week (MIRROR, 12/12).