LaLiga Taking Second Shot At Regular Season Match In Miami
LaLiga is "trying again to take a regular season game to Miami despite abandoning plans last season after facing opposition from other soccer bodies," according to Rob Harris of the AP. The Spanish Football Federation has been "asked to allow Villarreal's home game against Atletico Madrid on Dec. 6 to be moved to Hard Rock Stadium." LaLiga said that it has "consulted more widely than last season when the planned Barcelona-Girona game for January in Miami was abandoned." The federation "wouldn't grant approval and Spain's players' association protested the plans because it had not been consulted." The FIFA Council "opposed the idea last year, although its permission for the match was not mandatory." But approval "could be rejected from the regional confederations impacted" -- UEFA and Concacaf (AP, 10/17). Relevent Sports, which partnered with LaLiga on the original plans for a match, "began a legal case" against U.S. Soccer in September, after the federation "blocked the company's plans to host games" in the U.S. (BBC.com, 10/17). Spanish FA President Luis Rubiales hinted that his organization "will again oppose" a league game staged in Miami. He said, "We could go back in time and give the same comments we gave a year ago" (ESPN.com, 10/17).