Digital, Social Media Consultant Jeramie McPeek Offers Thoughts On Top Outlets
Digital and social media consultant Jeramie McPeek is serving as the "Social Media QB" for the Houston Super Bowl Host Committee, and he appeared at the '16 Motorsports Marketing Forum to offer some of his learnings from his career, much of which was spent with the Suns. Among his viewpoints:
* The best channel for advertising on social.
* A “huge platform for video, and they are really trying to compete with YouTube when it comes to video.”
* Facebook Live is a big focus. “There is a lot of opportunity there for brands.”
* Facebook advertising is a strong advertising method -- put dollars behind “like” campaigns to increase followers, for one example.
* The place for breaking news.
* The best channel for fan engagement and customer service, and a good way for direct response to specific tweets.
* Be consistent, be creative: “You don’t want to go dormant, you want to be consistently interacting with people.”
* Mix up your content.
* Visual images work much better on Twitter than pure text.
INSTAGRAM (McPeek’s personal favorite):
* It’s all about branding, showing your brand or team in a positive light.
* It’s a way to show the best images you have, to show fans what your brand is about.
* It’s a great way to show your fans behind-the-scenes content.
* Instagram is a good way to remind fans of why they are a fan of your team in the first place. Show off those archived images.
* Suggestion: Incorporate fan content in your own channels. McPeek showed how the Suns aggregated fan-captured video filmed in the arena of a game winning shot.
* McPeek initially dismissed, felt it didn’t make sense for the brand.
* Found it to be a very powerful way to interact with young fans.
* Place for fun and quirky raw material.
* Bullish on Snapchat Spectacle is a great way to give first person viewpoint for your athlete.