MLB Giants Will Not Oppose Prop B As Team Plans to Downsize Parking Lot Proposal
The MLB Giants will “drop their opposition to a June ballot measure on waterfront height limits and present downsized development plans for their parking lot near AT&T Park by the summer,” according to Knight & Cote of the S.F. CHRONICLE. Former S.F. Mayor Art Agnos said that Giants President & CEO Larry Baer “made those promises” to him in a meeting last Friday at the ballpark. Agnos is a “main proponent” of Proposition B and “pledged to fight what he called the baseball team's ‘Donald Trump-style’ plans for high-rise development." But Agnos on Tuesday said that he “has faith the Giants will come up with a new plan that meets with voter approval.” Giants Senior VP/Communications & Senior Advisor to the CEO Staci Slaughter “confirmed that Baer and Agnos spoke last week and that Baer said the Giants will not be involved on either side in the Prop. B campaign.” Slaughter: "Our project is still evolving. As we finalize plans for the project, we're going to sit down with [Agnos] as well as others to make sure we have the best possible project for the community." Slaughter said that the team “isn't ready to make public any likely changes to their development.” Knight & Cote noted the decision by the Giants “comes as the team faced the prospect of being on the losing side of what could be an ugly political fight.” Meanwhile, the Warriors last month “dropped their plans to build an 18,000-seat arena on Piers 30-32 and a condo tower and hotel nearby in favor of building on private land in Mission Bay not covered by Prop. B” (S.F. CHRONICLE, 5/7).