Expert Warns Clubs Could Suffer Des Hasler Urging Re-Think Of Origin Our Watch To Address AFL Commission F1 In Danger Of Losing Three Tracks PCC Approves 2017 WorldTour Calendar ATC Aims To Rebuild Kensington Track League Notes NZ Rugby League Reports $245K Profit AAMI Park Put On Notice Over Turf Issues AFL Execs Consider Mid-Season Trading
Enter amount in full numerical value, without currency symbol or commas (ex: 3000000).
SBD Global/June 18, 2014/Leagues and Governing Bodies
Banned Players Of Australian Football League Side Essendon May Not Miss A Match
Published June 18, 2014
LEGAL OPTIONS: In Melbourne, Jon Pierik reported Essendon players "will seriously consider taking legal action against the club should they be found guilty of taking a banned substance." The 34 players issued the show cause notices "discussed a range of issues with their five-man legal team." Players "have yet to discuss in detail what the legal action would entail but those close to the players admit it will be a serious prospect if their individual cases fail." At least one player manager has said that "he will explore legal action for his clients." Lawyers believe that players "would most likely not be paid should they be suspended" (THE AGE, 6/17). In Melbourne, Pierik also reported the saga "is set for another revealing twist." Former fitness boss Dean Robinson is suing the club for almost A$2M to "subpoena an array of prominent people." Robinson said the Bombers "have until July 18 to distribute subpoenas," with Robinson likely to force suspended Essendon coach James Hird, former football Operations Manager Danny Corcoran, former CEO Ian Robson, club doctor Bruce Reid and even current Chair Paul Little "to give evidence in court or provide relevant information." Robinson could also seek McLachlan and former CEO Andrew Demetriou "to give evidence relating to why he was suspended" (THE AGE, 6/17). Also in Melbourne, Michael Warner reported an "explosive email" from the AFL to the ASADA "reveals why Essendon players believed they would escape doping bans." The email, also sent to then-PM Julia Gillard’s office, "sheds light on a major split between the AFL and ASADA over a behind-the-scenes agreement struck in February last year" (HERALD SUN, 6/17).
TAKING COVER: In Melbourne, Nick Toscano reported an official request "has been lodged" with the Victorian WorkCover Authority "for an investigation into supplements programs at nine Victorian AFL clubs." The "request for prosecution" of the clubs, received on Tuesday, accuses Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Richmond, St. Kilda and the Western Bulldogs "of health and safety breaches." Essendon "is already being investigated by WorkCover" (THE AGE, 6/17).