Upcoming Conferences and Events
May 31 - Jun 1
SBJ/October 10-16, 2011/Game Changers
Game Changers: Tery Howard
Published October 10, 2011, Page 20A
WANT MORE GREAT STORIES LIKE THIS?
CLICK ON ONE OF THESE BUTTONS
Howard, with the Dolphins’ Super Bowl trophies, has
worked to keep her team tops in technology.
SVP, Chief Technology Officer
Sun Life Stadium boasts one of the world’s largest point-of-sale installations under one roof, with about 750 devices processing transactions. It also was one of the first NFL venues to install digital menu boards, in 2007. Making sure all new technology operates in a stadium setting is a monumental task that keeps Howard and her staff of 20 busy in south Florida.
Her most recent assignment is chairing a team committee to explore new ways to expand digital commerce through all platforms, including social media, to produce more revenue for the club and the facility. “It’s thinking outside the box and being creative, looking at what others are doing in the industries — not necessarily in sports, but on the entertainment side,” Howard said.
- First job: Manager of shipboard systems and operations, Carnival Cruise Lines.
- What is the best advice you've ever received: Understand that failure is acceptable and if managed properly it will ultimately breed success. Fear to innovate is unacceptable.
- In 10 words or less, how would you describe your management style?: Ensuring staff has tools needed to be efficient and effective.
- Person who had the biggest influence on your career in sports: Stephen Ross. Stephen has a passion for innovation, believes in achieving best-in-class on all fronts of our business and has an unwavering commitment to his staff. He is a visionary leader.
- Woman in sports business you'd most like to meet: Stacey Allaster at WTA. Her accomplishments and the impact she has made at the WTA have been impressive and innovative.
- One attribute I look for when hiring is …: To ensure the individual has a passion for what they will embark in, is capable of working in a team environment, and a willingness to learn.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
“Tery has an understanding of emerging technologies to drive business … with an ability to effectively communicate those changes for the team and the facility. She is an A player.”
- Joe Bailey, partner with consulting firm Heidrick & Struggles; former CEO of Dolphins Enterprises