Upcoming Conferences and Events
SBJ/October 10-16, 2011/Game Changers
Game Changers: Lisa Murray
Published October 10, 2011, Page 38A
Murray has made a career of big events, and she has
the credentials to prove it.
EVP, Chief Marketing Officer
Murray once wanted to be Ralph Nader, “until I found out,” she said, “you had to be a lawyer.’’ The legal profession’s loss has been marketing’s gain. “I’m a classic agency person,’’ Murray said, “focused on passion and results, and I’m very hands-on.’’
Clients and co-workers laud her devotion. “Lisa has taught that dedication to our entire organization, and it’s one of the main reasons we have so many long-standing clients,’’ said Jeff Shifrin, president, Octagon Marketing North America. “Everything we do on the client side has Lisa’s fingerprints on it.’’
- First job: Working in the advertising department at Gimbels in New York City.
- Crowning professional achievement: I’ve measured my life against the World Cups I have worked on. That’s up to seven now, and each one has been more of a “Wow.”
- What is the best advice you've ever received: Learn to be a critical listener. The source escapes me (probably because I hadn’t mastered the technique yet) but the concept stuck. In an age of fleeting, 140-character messages, critical listening is, well, critical to survival — much less success.
- Woman in sports business you'd most like to meet: Brazil’s first woman president, Dilma Rousseff, to discuss her views on the opportunities and prospects for dynamic economic and social change as a result of Brazil hosting both the 2014 FIFA World Cup and the 2016 Summer Olympics.
- The biggest challenge I face working in the sports business is …: It is a 24/7 business, especially since we are a global agency.
- One attribute I look for when hiring is …: People that are proactive.
- If I had to do it all over again, I would …: Be fluent in another language and much more proficient in golf. Both are vital skills in this business.
- Ten years from now I hope to be …: An alum of SBJ’s 60 Under 60.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
“A client’s dream come true. Lisa is a hard worker, very strategic, but not afraid to do whatever it takes. She can see angles no one else does.”
- Mava Heffler, vice president, marketing and communications, Emcor Group; former sponsorship chief at MasterCard