Upcoming Conferences and Events
SBJ/October 10-16, 2011/Game Changers
Game Changers: Lauren Hobart
Published October 10, 2011, Page 42A
Hobart, a veteran of consumer packaged goods, finds
decisions can quickly become action in retail.
SVP, Chief Marketing Officer
“This is a growth company, but I was also really attracted by the fact that it was all about sports,” said Hobart, who joined Dick’s in February. “For a marketer, the power that sports gives you is enormously seductive.”
Like any new CMO, Hobart is in the midst of consumer research to determine the brand vision for Dick’s, which is in the middle of rapid expansion. The work isn’t quite done, but Hobart said that what makes Dick’s unique is its dedication to servicing elite athletes. “We get all kinds of customers, but that’s the aspiration for all of them,” she said.
The new brand vision won’t be complete until next year. Until then, Hobart is reveling in the differences between consumer packaged goods and retail marketing. “The ability we have [at Dick’s] to impact change just a week after you make a decision is much different from consumer packaged goods,” she said. “That’s what makes it exciting.”
- First job: Loan officer at Chemical Bank.
- Crowning professional achievement: Our PACE program at Dick’s for baseline concussion testing. We are very proud of being able to get baseline data for a million kids so far.
- Biggest professional disappointment: Never working outside of North America.
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received?: Give a consistent effort, make it your best, and don’t over manage.
- Person who had the biggest influence on your career in sports: Former Pepsi N.A. CEO Dawn Hudson and CMO Dave Burwick. They taught me everything I know about marketing.
- Woman in sports business you’d most like to meet: Mia Hamm. She changed the way Americans see women and soccer.
- If I had to do it all over again, I would …: Take more time off after business school.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
“A smart, strategic, marketer who knows how to build a brand. She brings a good combination of focus and vision to Dick’s.”
- John Tatum, Genesco Sports Enterprises CEO, who worked with Hobart as a client when she was at Pepsi