SBJ/October 10-16, 2011/Game Changers
Game Changers: Jeanie Buss
Published October 10, 2011, Page 16A
WANT MORE GREAT STORIES LIKE THIS?
CLICK ON ONE OF THESE BUTTONS
Buss, at the Lakers’ 2010 ring ceremony, is well-acquainted with the O’Brien Trophy.
EVP, Business Operations
- What is the best advice you've ever received?: 1) My dad stressed that there is no substitute for education; 2) Tommy Lasorda said never complain about your problems because “half the people don’t care and the other half are happy you have them”; and 3) I met Jane Fonda when I was 18. I weakly shook her hand, and she grabbed it and said, “Give people a strong handshake so they will remember you.”
- What keeps you awake at night?: Safety of all sports fans when gathering for a live event. No fan should ever be put at risk or danger when they buy a ticket to enjoy a game.
- Woman in sports business you'd most like to meet: Laila Ali.
- The biggest challenge I face working in the sports business is …: Keeping balance when so much is about winning and losing.
- One attribute I look for when hiring is …: Integrity; have to be able to trust the people I work with.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
“Her commitment to Lakers fans and to the NBA is second to none. In all of my dealings with her, I found her to be a savvy and creative business partner with a keen focus on innovating to better engage and entertain our viewers.”
- Melinda Witmer, Time Warner Cable EVP, chief video and content officer