Upcoming Conferences and Events
SBJ/October 10-16, 2011/Game Changers
Game Changers: Amy Cohen
Published October 10, 2011, Page 28A
Cohen grew up cheering for Philly teams, then entered
the city’s sports world when she went to work for
SVP, General Counsel
Cohen has been with Comcast since 1996, when Comcast started its local sports strategy. As the head of Comcast SportsNet’s legal department, Cohen has been instrumental in crafting these types of complex deals. Most recently, Cohen was in the middle of the deal to give the NBA Celtics up to a 20 percent stake in Comcast SportsNet New England in exchange for a 20-year rights deal extension through 2038. She also was a central figure in recent negotiations with the NBA on issues affecting multiple Comcast RSNs, such as the boundaries of TV territories, and has been overseeing legal matters for Versus for the past two years, as well.
- Crowning professional achievement: Building a great business and legal affairs team.
- Biggest professional disappointment: I am disappointed that the industry still lags behind others in terms of recognition and advancement of women.
- In 10 words or less, how would you describe your management style?: Laissez-faire/delegatory, mixed with an occasional dose of autocracy.
- Person who had the biggest influence on your career in sports: Jon Litner, president of Comcast Sports Group. After working closely with him on the launch of SportsNet New York, he showed belief and confidence in me in promoting me to my current position.
- Woman in sports business you'd most like to meet: Annika Sorenstam. She has achieved great success on and off the course while at the same time raising a family.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
“Not only does Amy understand all facets of the television business and what makes sports teams and leagues tick, but she has proven herself to be a creative problem solver and an accomplished relationship-builder — all while forcefully advocating and protecting Comcast’s interests.”
- Bill Koenig, NBA executive vice president of business affairs and general counsel