ECB Opens Door To Pietersen Return Coach Says FIGC Must Take Some Blame DFL Proposes Eliminating WC Round Of 16 Executive Transactions Arsenal Records Profit Of £11.1M Seifert: Schedule Adjustments Unlikely Unprofitable AFL Clubs Receive Millions More Than 3.5M Watch Ski Jumping Event Equipment Market To Reach $82B By '20 Names In The News
SBD Global/June 5, 2014/FranchisesPrint All
Gene Haas has revealed to Forbes that his team will join F1 in '16 and that "he is considering locating its European headquarters in England where its engine department will be based," according to Christian Sylt for FORBES. The design and aerodynamics department "will be based at the team’s head office" outside Charlotte, U.S. alongside the factory for the championship-winning Stewart-Haas NASCAR team, which is co-owned by Haas. Haas: “The plan is absolutely to launch in 2016 and we are fully committed to that. I don’t think there is any doubt about that whatsoever.” He added, “From a personal standpoint, I really would have liked to go racing in 2015. It was hard to sit there and say no. Trust me, I really wanted to go." Locating the team in the U.S. "is a bold move as it has only been done a handful of times in F1." However the risk comes with the potential for rich rewards as it would "give the team a unique selling point and make it a national flagship." Haas "is the ideal man to steer the team to success." Not only does he "have considerable experience in race team management, he also has the necessary resources to fuel his bid." Haas said, “Our plan is to have aero in Charlotte and engine work in Europe.” He added, “We are still looking at having a shop in Europe. England maybe would be the place to go because that’s where most of the Formula One teams are." F1 gives certain teams free air transport of their cars, equipment and spare parts to and from the races outside Europe and these flights leave from London and Munich, so Haas Formula "would be able to take advantage of them if it is based in England'' (FORBES, 6/4).
Forza Rossa Racing has reportedly gained approval from the FIA "to enter F1 as soon as next season," according to FOX SPORTS. Headed by 45-year-old Ion Bazac, Romania’s former health minister, "the team is expected to be run out of Germany" by former Force India and HRT Team Manager Colin Kolles. Although among Bazac’s business interests is a deal to be Romania’s authorized Ferrari importer, "the team is reportedly planning to use Renault power units." If the team joins the F1 grid in '15, it will be the only one to do so, as NASCAR team co-Owner Gene Haas "is looking set to delay his team’s entry to the 2016 season to ensure it is adequately prepared" (FOX SPORTS, 6/4).
Handball Bundesliga (HBL) club HSV Hamburg "is about to fold as the league denied its license for the upcoming season for the second time," acccording to SPIEGEL ONLINE. The league's management "confirmed the decision citing missing evidence of secured financials as the main reason." HBL Managing Dir Holger Kaiser said, "The decision of the HBL's eight-member committee was unanimous." As a result of the league's decision the club will be relegated and HBW Balingen-Weilstetten, which finished 16th in the table, will remain in the HBL. HSV Hamburg "can appeal the decision within one week at the league's court of arbitration" (SPIEGEL ONLINE, 6/3).
Spanish football club Osasuna, which has been relegated from La Liga to the second divsion for next season, will hold an extraordinary general meeting on June 20 to "vote on a presidential election" after Osasuna President Miguel Archanco "announced last week that he would resign, but not until a viability plan was presented." The meeting's "purpose will be to confirm and schedule an election of a new president and board of directors" (EFE, 6/4). ... Spanish second division side Real Zaragoza Owner Agapito Iglesias on Wednesday agreed to sell a 92% share in the club to a group led by Spanish businessman Mariano Casasnovas. Casasnovas said that the "deal is done." Iglesias "was expected to release a statement on Wednesday afternoon" (AS, 6/4). ... La Liga Valencia President Amadeo Salvo said on Wednesday that an agreement between new Valencia owner Peter Lim and lender Bankia "still is not complete or signed." Salvo, however, "made it clear that he does not expect problems that will make the operation legally complicated" (EFE, 6/4).