BMW: 'Andretti Speaks For Itself' Liverpool Owner Raises Doubts Rodgers Calls Celtic 'Major Threat' SRU Calls Special General Meeting QPR Manager Asked For $71,250 Napoli Off To Strong Start In Serie A AS Roma Denies Evergrande Talks Murray Wants ATP Event In Glasgow Conte Demands Overhaul Of Chelsea England Refuses To Make Concessions
Enter amount in full numerical value, without currency symbol or commas (ex: 3000000).
SBD Global/April 24, 2014/Franchises
Manchester United Rejects Claims It Had Broken Wall Street Rules Over Moyes Sacking
Published April 24, 2014
WANT MORE GREAT STORIES LIKE THIS?
CLICK ON ONE OF THESE BUTTONS
BOSSES FLYING IN: In London, Jamie Jackson reported the Glazers will fly in to Manchester on Friday to meet Woodward "for discussions" about Moyes replacement. Led by Joel Glazer, with whom Woodward talks to daily, the owners "want to ensure a clear strategy is established regarding how to pursue their prime target, thought to be Louis van Gaal." The Holland coach takes up official duties on May 7 and he and the Dutch FA said "any action regarding his post-World Cup future should finish before then so that he can concentrate on the tournament." The Glazers are thought to want "a more hands-on role in finding Moyes's successor than last year" when they let former Manager Alex Ferguson choose his replacement (GUARDIAN, 4/23).
MOYES' STATEMENT: In London, James Ducker reported Moyes "sounded like a man still struggling to grasp the reality of managing a club of the magnitude of Manchester United as the League Manager’s Assocation (LMA) hit out at the manner of his departure." Moyes’ "decency and integrity were never in doubt but the final sentence will merely have reinforced the view that, for all his best intentions, for all his desire to succeed, he had still to fully appreciate the level of expectation, to fully understand that the bar must always be set extremely high." Moyes wrote in a statement, “I remain proud to have led the team to the quarter-finals of this year’s Champions League.” LMA CEO Richard Bevan said that they "were disappointed by the manner of Moyes’s departure, although, perhaps quite tellingly, they stopped short of rebuking United for dispensing with his services after such a short period in charge." Bevan: “The LMA is very disappointed with the nature of David’s departure from Manchester United and to read extensive reports in the press, confirming David’s sacking, before David himself had been spoken to officially by the club” (LONDON TIMES, 4/23).
WEIGHING IN: In Hong Kong, Steve Douglas opined when ManU overlooked Jose Mourinho and chose Moyes to succeed Ferguson, "they gambled on a manager with neither a recognised winning mentality nor experience of European soccer -- and with no trophies on his résumé." It "quickly became apparent, however, that Moyes lacked the gravitas for one of the biggest jobs in soccer -- that he was too satisfied with a mediocre level of performance, in awe of the team rather than ready to rebuild it." It "is hard to avoid the conclusion he was a man out of his depth" (SCMP, 4/23).
FERGUSON'S INPUT: In London, Daniel Taylor reported Ferguson "will be asked to take a prominent role" in deciding ManU's next manager "despite an acknowledgement within the club that he was responsible for choosing the wrong man last time." ManU is "deliberating between Louis van Gaal and Carlo Ancelotti" to replace Moyes. Atlético Madrid coach Diego Simeone "is also being considered." However, ManU is "leaning towards a more experienced candidate and their initial discussions, involving Ferguson, have concluded that the job has come too early for Ryan Giggs" (GUARDIAN, 4/22). Also in London, Paul Wilson wrote on the Guardian's Talking Sport blog that ManU supporters "must be hugely relieved" that Ferguson "is going to play a part in headhunting their next manager." He has "achieved such a lot in the game, he knows the club inside out and he must have every promising coach's number in his contact book, so what could possibly go wrong?" (GUARDIAN, 4/23).