Hopp To Become Majority Owner Of TSG Parma Owner Confirms Takeover Of Club Hangin' With ... Seth Holmes Match-Fixing Law Doesn't Go Far Enough Allianz Arena Increases Capacity To 75K Munich City Council Approves New Arena Marussia Nose Section Sells For $23,500 Ecclestone Pushes For Engine Changes FIBA Says JBA Facing Serious Issues Executive Transactions
SBD Global/November 11, 2013/People and Pop CulturePrint All
F1 CEO BERNIE ECCLESTONE asked on Friday to "go back on" some of the evidence he had given to the High Court on Thursday in his $140M damages lawsuit as he was accused of "lying repeatedly," according to Tom Cary of the London TELEGRAPH. On another tense day of cross-examination, which produced some heated exchanges between 83-year-old Ecclestone, who is a co-defendant in the suit, and PHILIP MARSHALL, representing Constantin Medien, Ecclestone said that he had not had sufficient time to prepare himself and had been "in a hurry" when giving evidence on Thursday. Giving evidence for a third straight day on Friday, Ecclestone said that "he had not had time to look through all the documents properly." Ecclestone told Marshall, "Yesterday I was in rather a hurry. You've had months and months and months to look through all the documents and pick out points. I've been in lots of different countries and done lots and lots of miles on aeroplanes and I haven't had the opportunity to do that. Now I'm going to have. I don't care if this takes until the end of the year. I will look at everything now." Later, Ecclestone repeated the point when addressing the judge, GUY NEWEY, saying that he had been "in a hurry yesterday and made some answers which I'd like to go back on if I have the opportunity" (TELEGRAPH, 11/8). In London, Owen Gibson wrote Marshall put it to Ecclestone that he had blocked other potential bidders from conducting due diligence on F1 at a time when banker GERHARD GRIBKOWSKY's Bayern LB bank "was considering selling its stake but actively encouraged CVC to bid and guided them on how much to pay." It was claimed that "Ecclestone brushed off rival approaches for BayernLB's 47% stake from Hutchison Whampoa and Rothschild Group, among others, in favour of CVC's bid." Ecclestone, throughout his three days giving evidence, has insisted that he "did not care who owned the company." Ecclestone: "It's a fact. I've said for two days running I wasn't the slightest bit bothered who owned the shares. I run it." Lawyers representing Ecclestone have outlined their case to the judge in written arguments and said the claim "lacks any merit" and "is an artificial, manufactured complaint." The "trial continues" (GUARDIAN, 11/8).
Handball Bundesliga (HBL) SC Magdeburg Managing Dir MARC-HENRIK SCHMEDT "is expected to replace" HBL Berlin Füchse Manager and German Handball Federation (DHB) VP BOB HANNING on the HBL board. Hanning "resigned from the voluntary HBL VP postion after almost six year last week in order to have more time for his club and his new task at the DHB" (SID, 11/8). ... World Wrestling Entertainment on Friday announced that STEFAN KASTENMULLER has been named "General Manager, Germany, Switzerland and Austria, a newly created position." The appointment "marks the opening of WWE's first office in Germany, which will be located in Munich, and is part of WWE's strategic initiative to localize its approach" in int'l markets by further engaging with fans and partners (BUSINESS WIRE, 11/8). ... EPL Crystal Palace has appointed IAIN MOODY as its sporting director "as part of plans to improve significantly" the team's infrastructure and "address the weaknesses in player recruitment that have contributed to their dismal start to the season." Moody "will take up his role with immediate effect and one of his first tasks will be to assist with the process of bringing in a new manager to take charge of a team that sits bottom of the table." Palace has been looking to "fill that vacancy since IAN HOLLOWAY left by mutual consent" on Oct. 23 (London GUARDIAN, 11/9). ... The Australian Paralympic Committee "will need a new delegation leader just four months out from Russia's Sochi Winter Paralympic Games." KATE MCLOUGHLIN was "set to be Australia's first female Chef de Mission to an Olympics or Paralympics when she was appointed in March, but announced she was stepping down on Friday due to family commitments." McLoughlin said that her "expected second child and a family illness made it impractical to continue" (AAP, 11/8).
Do you have an executive announcement? If so, please send to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
World No. 1 TIGER WOODS said that he "thoroughly enjoyed playing in the inaugural Turkish Airlines Open this week but refused to commit to the European Tour event next season." Asked whether he would return to Turkey in 2014, Woods said, "I don't know" (REUTERS, 11/10). ... MARC MARQUEZ became the youngest rider to be crowned MotoGP World Champion, and the first rookie to take the title in 35 years, after finishing third in the Valencia Grand Prix on Sunday (LONDON TIMES, 11/10). ... Lotus F1 driver KIMI RÄIKKÖNEN is out for the rest of the '13 season after electing to undergo back surgery. Raikkonen was leaving the team after the season to return to Ferrari. Lotus reserve driver DAVIDE VALSECCHI is expected to finish the season (London TELEGRAPH, 11/10). ... Powerlifter GUNDUZ ISMAYILOV "was banned for life" in '04 after a second anti-doping violation in four years (IPC). ... UAE side Al Wahda is "looking to JOSE PESEIRO" to get its "misfiring season back on track after dismissing KAREL JAROLIM as coach on Friday after only 10 games in charge." Jarolim "was only appointed in the summer but had endured a tough start to the campaign, and the club had said they acted over the weekend in a bid to keep alive their hopes of challenging for a trophy this season" (THE NATIONAL, 11/10). ... World champion 400m hurdler ZUZANA HEJNOVA "became the Czech Athlete of the Year 2013, as expected, winning the annual poll of the Czech Athletics Association (CAS) for the first time, the poll organisers announced at an award-giving ceremony" (CESKENOVINY, 11/10).
Reuters' ALAN BALDWIN: "No Kimi in Austin or Brazil. Bit of a shocker for a Sunday morning."
Bloomberg's TARIQ PANJA: "Return trip from Rio to Sao Paulo leaving 7am and coming back 7pm on same day costs 1700 reais, $850. Journey time 45 minutes."
Japan Times' ED ODEVEN: "Technology makes it simple, but where's human effort? Why, now in 9th season, does the bj-league still not issue post-game player quotes?"
If you see a tweet we will not want to miss, send it to us at email@example.com.