Sports World Pays Respects To Mandela Smoke Cancels Mexico City NBA Game Sevilla President Receives Sentence GM To Pull Chevy Brand From Europe Blatter Sets April Date For Stadium German Cup Nets Top Rating On ARD Sky Acquires Shares In Sport1 Sat.1 Extends Super Bowl Broadcast Deal Tottenham Combats Fan Group Ferrari Has Veto Over F1 CEO Successor
SBD Global/September 25, 2013/Events and AttractionsPrint All
Melbourne "has secured the rights to host the Australian Baseball League All Star Game for a second consecutive season," according to Gilbert Gardiner of the NEWS LIMITED NETWORK. The marquee clash between Team Australia and the ABL's best internationals includes players signed with the MLB, Japan and Korean organizations. About 3,000 people descended on Melbourne Ballpark last year, "and it is expected a similar number will return for the December 18 renewal." The All Star Game "is set to be beamed to more than 75 million people worldwide through Fox Sports Asia and MLB Network" (NEWS LIMITED NETWORK, 9/24).
A collaborative marketing campaign between the Hong Kong Jockey Club and Racing Victoria "could increase international involvement in major races other than the Caulfield and Melbourne cups during the spring carnival," according to Michael Sharkie of THE AGE. Although '13 "has the potential to be a breakthrough carnival," RV Int'l Recruitment Officer Leigh Jordon said that "it was still a tough task convincing foreign trainers to target races outside of the Caulfield and Melbourne cups." But co-operation with the HKJC "could force European stables to consider campaigning through a mega-Australasian carnival during spring and summer, targeting group 1 sprint and 1600-metres races before racing on to the Hong Kong International meeting in early December." Jordan said, "It makes sense to look at working together to get the best horses coming to this region" (THE AGE, 9/25).
Japanese professional baseball team Yokohama DeNA BayStars is holding a one-day “Sports Business Marketing” course on Nov. 11 to introduce university students to the world of professional sports business. The course -- provided in conjunction with the Career Daigaku (University), an informal vocational school run with the cooperation of some of Japan’s largest corporations -- will cover an introduction to the pro-sports industry, workshops on sports marketing, and a networking event. BayStars PR Manager Jun Kusumoto told SBD Global, “Few students think about a career in pro-sports, so this is an opportunity to give them a way into the industry, show them what it’s about and increase the number of people who might enter the business.” The BayStars have taken in 50 students as interns since last year, working mainly on activities related to increasing membership of the team’s fan club, according to Kusumoto. The team was founded in the '30s and was sold by TV network Tokyo Broadcasting System to mobile social game company DeNA in '11 for 6.5B yen ($65M). DeNA Global PR Officer Tomoyuki Akiyama told SBD Global, “One of the reasons DeNA bought a baseball team was to raise its corporate profile, especially among parents of college kids who might be thinking of a career with us. To let them know we are an established company and not just a start-up."
Gavin Blair is a writer in Tokyo.
The "dream will be a reality: Mexico will be on the F1 2014 provisional calendar which will be released Friday." Motorsports governing body FIA's Mexico representative, the Mexican Organization of Int'l Automotive Sports (OMDAI), has learned that "Hermanos Rodriguez racetrack is officially being considered as a host of an F1 event" from Nov. 7-9 of next year. The OMDAI said, "On Friday in Zagreb, Croatia, the approved calendar of dates and countries will be announced, with Mexico among those included" (LA AFICION, 9/23). ... David Haye's heavyweight showdown with Tyson Fury "has been rescheduled" for Feb. 8 at the Manchester Arena. Haye "suffered a cut in his final sparring session last Friday night which saw the bout, initially slated for this coming Saturday, postponed." But "the Brits have moved quickly to arrange a new date with tickets for the original fight still valid" (London DAILY MAIL, 9/24). ... Citroen "has ruled out fielding any privateer DS3 WRCs in the 2014 World Rally Championship." The decision stems from Citroen's dual world championship approach next year, "when it will chase both the World Touring Car Championship and the WRC with factory entries" (AUTOSPORT, 9/24).