Hangin' With ... Joe Tacopina German Gov't Supports Hamburg Bid DTM Pushes Cooperation With Super GT Executive Transactions Samara, Russia Commits To New Facilities Ecclestone, HMRC At Odds Over Tax Bill UEFA President Platini: FFP 'Here To Stay' COLUMN: Violence Falls On Authorities Names In The News Nine Keen To Go Head-To-Head With AFL
SBD Global/July 18, 2013/FranchisesPrint All
IndyCar team Andretti Autosport "will field a team in Formula E," according to Matt Beer of AUTOSPORT. The squad, run by '91 CART IndyCar champion Michael Andretti, "joins the Drayson and China teams among the first of the 10 outfits expected for Formula E's inaugural season" in '14. Andretti said, "It's an honor for Andretti Autosport to have been selected as one of the 10 founding Formula E teams for the inaugural season." Andretti also hinted that his IndyCar drivers could be involved in the Formula E program. The team currently fields Ryan Hunter-Reay, Marco Andretti, James Hinchcliffe and E.J. Viso (AUTOSPORT, 7/17). AUTOWEEK reported Andretti Autosport "currently fields multiple entries in the IZOD IndyCar Series along with multiple campaigns in the Firestone Indy Lights, the Pro Mazda Championship and in the USF2000 National Championship." Andretti Autosport "becomes the third team to join the new Zero-Emission series which will see Formula cars racing on 10 city-center circuits all around the world." They join U.K.-based Drayson Racing, which recently "set the world electric land speed record," together with China Racing, headed up by Steven Lu (AUTOWEEK, 7/17).
Due to the "huge controversy that it generated, politically as much as socially," Liga MX side Atlas has declined the 12M pesos ($960,000) it had been offered by Mexican state Jalisco Governor Jorge Aristóteles Sandoval after Atlas's petition for government support, according to Rigoberto Juárez of LA AFICION. Atlas President Eugenio Ruiz Orozco said, "It is very clear to us that public resources are not meant to attend to private problems. Atlas is not a private institution, it is a social service institution and that is why we are surprised by the media attention given to our request. We appreciate the governor's time but we have made the decision as a social organization to withdraw the request for support that we made to the government" (LA AFICION, 7/16).
Spanish Superior Sports Council (CSD) President Miguel Cardenal has revealed that "one year ago, the Mixed Commission formed by the CSD and La Liga had planned to deny Málaga's La Liga access for '12-13 because the club was in a nearly unstable situtation." Cardenal: "We talked with Málaga Dir General Vicente Casado and his team and decided to trust the plan they presented to us, and now, one year later, we can say that the club fulfilled its promises. Málaga is now a much healthier club" (EFE, 7/17). ... The Scottish FA has told Scottish Second Division Rangers that it "won't be launching a further enquiry into last year's takeover of the club by the consortium fronted by Charles Green" (SCOTSMAN, 7/17). ... The Pakistan Football Federation urged new EPL Fulham Owner Shahid Khan "to go back to his roots and tap up young talent in the South Asian country." PFF Marketing Dir Sardar Naveed Haider said, "We are trying to make a contact with him to request him to come to Pakistan and see the burgeoning talent in the country and get them an opportunity to groom at the Fulham academy" (AFP, 7/16).