Tour De Yorkshire Names Host Towns Sydney FC Exec Slams FFA Over Venue Event Notes PGA Expands In Asia With Korean Event F1's Future In Malaysia Up In The Air Minsk To Host Second European Games AFL Keeps Grand Final Time At 2:30pm World Club Series Drops A Match COTA Open To ‘Tex-Mex Two Step’ Barcelona To Play Al-Ahli On Dec. 13
Enter amount in full numerical value, without currency symbol or commas (ex: 3000000).
SBD Global/April 22, 2013/Events and Attractions
London Marathon Honors Boston Bomb Victims Ahead Of Race With Ribbons, Silence
Published April 22, 2013
BRITISH RESOLVE: Broadbent & Kennedy reported the "mood of defiance" was reflected by London Marathon Charitable Trust patron Prince Harry, who "handed the winners their medals." Prince Harry: “It’s fantastic, typically British. People are saying they haven’t seen crowds like this for eight years around the route. It’s remarkable to see.” The prince added it was “never an option” for him to cancel his appearance. Prince Harry: “No one has changed any plans, volunteers, security, nothing has changed” (LONDON TIMES, 4/22). In London, Anna Kessel wrote athletes "attacked the London Marathon race organisers" after a dangerous crash happened between a men's wheelchair racer and a top woman runner a drinks station around the 15km mark. Olympic champion Tiki Gelana of Ethiopia was effectively "taken out of the race" as she collided with wheelchair racer Josh Cassidy. Gelana got to her feet and continued but the "damage had already been done" and, as with Cassidy, the 25-year-old "ultimately never recovered." A furious Cassidy blasted race organisers. Cassidy: "It's something I have mentioned before. I don't know who's responsible but every year we come to overtake the women, there's 10 chairs going at 20mph and the poor women are scrambling to find their feet" (GUARDIAN, 4/21).
WAKE-UP CALL: The PA reported British Gold Medalist Mo Farah revealed that comments he had overslept before running in the London Marathon were "just a joke" and said he had been "one of the first athletes" on the bus. Asked how he was feeling, the 30-year-old Londoner said as he ran down the street, "Yeah, feeling good." And had he warmed up? "Not yet!" he replied. "I'm late! I woke up late! I'm going to miss the bus!" he laughed. However, the Olympic 5,000m and 10,000m champion later tweeted: "Just to clarify, I had breakfast at 5am today, my comment about sleeping in was just a joke. I was one of the first athletes on the bus to the start" (PA, 4/21).
PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES: The CNA reported Taiwan's National Security Bureau said that "the government will step up its counter-terrorism measures" for the 2017 Universiade in Taipei. Bureau Deputy Chief Wang Teh-lin said that "the bureau will work closely with the Cabinet and the Taipei city government to tighten security for the Universiade and ensure that the event proceeds safely and peacefully" (CNA, 4/19).