R&A Ends 260-Year Ban On Women OCA: Middle East Ready To Host Olympics New Treaty Tackles Match-Fixing F1 CEO Confirms Crackdown On Radio Use R&A To Vote On Admitting Female Members No Deal For 3 Former Cronulla Players Formula 1 Bans Coded, Direct Messages Scottish Sports Figures Enter Debate League Notes IRB Ready To Sniff Out 'Fraudsters'
Enter amount in full numerical value, without currency symbol or commas (ex: 3000000).
Upcoming Conferences and Events
SBD Global/April 17, 2013/Leagues and Governing Bodies
Bernie Ecclestone Offers To Talk With Protesters, But Won't Cancel Bahrain GP
Published April 17, 2013
WANT MORE GREAT STORIES LIKE THIS?
CLICK ON ONE OF THESE BUTTONS
CALLS FOR CANCELATION: The BBC reported that a group of British MPs have "called for the Bahrain Grand Prix to be cancelled amid unrest in the Gulf state." The All-Party Parliamentary Group for Democracy in Bahrain wrote in a letter to Ecclestone, "We request you cancel the Grand Prix. It is likely to attract as much negative publicity as last year." The letter, written by All-Party Chair Andy Slaughter and signed by 20 MPs, said, "Since April 2012, many more people including children have lost their lives, and the whole country exists in fear and intimidation" (BBC, 4/16). In London, Oliver Brown reported Ecclestone has "likened Bahrain’s anti-government protesters, who on Sunday detonated a car bomb in the capital city Manama, to 'those complaining' about" Margaret Thatcher. Ecclestone risked "enraging activists" with his comparison between their claims of police brutality and left wing campaigners "seeking to disrupt Baroness Thatcher's funeral procession on Wednesday." Ecclestone said, "I don't think the people who are arguing about their position are bad, and I don't think they're trying to hurt people to make their point. We have had all sorts of protesters -- look at those complaining about Mrs. Thatcher. This happens all the time. People use these things when there is an opportunity” (TELEGRAPH, 4/15).
SÃO PAULO MUST IMPROVE: XINHUA reported Ecclestone said São Paulo, Brazil could be taken off the F1 calendar "if the city fails to improve facilities at its Interlagos Grand Prix circuit." Ecclestone has given local officials "an ultimatum to upgrade commercial boxes, event rooms, sanitary areas in addition to the paddock and pit-lane areas" (XINHUA, 4/16).