Sports World Pays Respects To Mandela Smoke Cancels Mexico City NBA Game Sevilla President Receives Sentence GM To Pull Chevy Brand From Europe Blatter Sets April Date For Stadium German Cup Nets Top Rating On ARD Sky Acquires Shares In Sport1 Sat.1 Extends Super Bowl Broadcast Deal Tottenham Combats Fan Group Ferrari Has Veto Over F1 CEO Successor
SBD Global/November 27, 2012/FacilitiesPrint All
There is a row in Russia over whether Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium, which hosted the 1980 Olympics, "should be demolished and rebuilt in time for the 2018 World Cup or saved because of its historic importance," according to Duncan Mackay of INSIDE WORLD FOOTBALL. Sports Minister & Russia 2018 Chair Vitaly Mutko has again "raised the possibility of knocking the stadium down" next year after it has hosted the Int'l Association of Athletics Federations World Championships and "building a new arena on the site." However, the government-funded agency overseeing the renovation of the stadium, Mosproekt-4, has said that it "should be renovated while keeping its key architectural features." The idea of demolishing Luzhniki Stadium and rebuilding "had been considered and discarded." Now, Mutko has "again raised the possibility." Mutko: "The Moscow City Government has not yet examined the concept completely" (INSIDE WORLD FOOTBALL, 11/25).
Bundesliga club Greuther Fürth "has scrapped its plans for a new stadium, but already developed blueprints for the expansion of the Trolli Arena," according to the SID. Plans for the expansion of the area and the stadium itself, which has, thanks to an additional stand, a capacity of 18,000, "already exist." Club President Helmut Hack said, "This isn't a step backward, it is another step forward." Ahead of the club's announcement on Thursday, Hack described building a new stadium as the "only alternative." With the support of an investor, Greuther Fürth "had planned to build a new €35M ($45M), 20,000-seat arena at a new site." However, the club has now "agreed to extend its lease with the owner of its current stadium until '40." The construction for the expansion of the Trolli Arena "is scheduled to start in the summer of '13" (SID, 11/22).
Renovation plans have been confirmed for the Old Course to help maintain its challenge for the world’s top golfers ahead of the return of The Open Championship to St. Andrews, Scotland in '15. Renowned golf course architect Martin Hawtree was commissioned by St. Andrews Links Trust, which manages the Old Course and the other six courses at the Home of Golf, and the R&A Championship Committee, which organizes golf’s oldest major championship, to assess potential changes that would enhance the challenge for elite players without unduly affecting club and visiting golfers while remaining true to the special character of the Old Course. Hawtree’s recommendations have now been agreed by the St. Andrews Links Trustees and Links Management Committee and the R&A Championship Committee. The work is planned to take place in two phases over this winter and next. The work will widen the Road Bunker on the 17th hole by half a meter at the right hand side. A new bunker will be created on the right of the third fairway and another on the left of the ninth fairway 20 yards short of the green (St. Andrews Links Trust).