Authorities No Longer Investigating F1 Sale AFC Terminates Deal With LeSports Counties Could Lose T20 Blast Matches Nike To Release Li Na Collection All-Ireland Finals Could Be Moved Up League Notes RLPA CEO Says Lawsuit Was 'Inevitable' GAA Congress Passes Radical Changes CSL Club Reportedly Eyeing Postecoglou League Notes
Enter amount in full numerical value, without currency symbol or commas (ex: 3000000).
SBD Global/November 12, 2012/Leagues and Governing Bodies
FIBA To Introduce New Competition Format, Calendar Beginning In 2017
Published November 12, 2012
• After the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup in Spain, the next edition will be moved to '19 (instead of '18) and will be played every four years from then on. A total of 32 teams (increased from 24) will participate in FIBA’s flagship event.
• The qualification period for the FIBA Basketball World Cup will be held over the course of two years and consist of six windows, which will be in November ('17), February, June, September, November ('18) and February ('19).
• Asia and Oceania will play in a combined Asia-Pacific region to qualify for the FIBA Basketball World Cup, but universality will remain in place for the qualifying process to the Olympic Games.
• As of '17, the continental championships will take place every four years ('17, '21, '25) with a similar system of qualification as for the FIBA Basketball World Cup and which will come into action after FIBA’s flagship event in '19.
• The qualification for the 2020 Olympics will be through the 2019 FIBA Basketball World Cup and four Olympic Qualifying Tournaments to be held in four zones (FIBA).