New "30 For 30 Short" On Holy Cross Player Clippers To Hold Training Camp In Hawaii Rainguard To Sponsor Texas IndyCar Race Magic Johnson Returning To ESPN UA, Fanatics Announce MLB Uniform Deal Dunkin' Donuts Announces NHL Partnership Woods' Return Boost Golf On NBC Tony Clark Discusses MLB's New CBA A's Reinvesting All Revenues Into Coliseum, Club Selig, Schuerholz Elected Into Baseball HOF
Weekend Hot Reads....
Published December 15, 2013
The BOSTON GLOBE's Peter Abraham writes, "Baseball does not have a LeBron James or Peyton Manning, a player who is the face of the game. Or is that player now David Ortiz?" He has "ascended to the top of his sport with a combination of performance and personality that crosses lines of geography, fandom, age, and race."
- As Hollywood Park gets set to close this month, the track preps for its "last hurrah."
- The time is now for the NHL to answer for "the fighting culture it tacitly condones."
- Astros GM Jeff Luhnow "has a background in negotiating few others have."
- Wives of NFL coaches learn to "accept that they're married to football."
- Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell faced a steep learning curve in his first year on the job.
- Examining the sometimes-obscure roots of nicknames in professional sports.
- For athletes and events, '13 was a "year of overcoming the odds on a global scale."
- Late A's Owner Charley Finley's "free-agency idea was chaotic, but captivating."