SBD/June 12, 2013/Events and Attractions

IMS Has Opt-Out Clause For '14 MotoGP Event; Miles Looks For More Indy 500 Entertainment

The Indianapolis Grand Prix is one of three MotoGP events in the U.S. this season
Hulman & Co. CEO Mark Miles said that Indianapolis Motor Speedway's contract for the Red Bull Indianapolis GP runs through '14, but IMS "has a brief window after this year's event to opt out," according to Curt Cavin of the INDIANAPOLIS STAR. Miles added that he "doesn't blame MotoGP" for its inability to draw a large crowd to IMS for the Aug. 16-18 event, which is one of only three MotoGP events in the U.S. this season. He said, "Our mindset now is that we're going to go through 2014, but we're going to look at this year and evaluate it right after." Cavin noted Miles puts "significant onus on his team for being too focused on the Indianapolis 500 and IndyCar." Miles: "I'm trying to change the way we think about ticket sales and promotions. Rather than look at a fixed budget, we need our people to (present ideas). We'll make the money available" (INDIANAPOLIS STAR, 6/11). Meanwhile, Cavin wrote Miles "longed for more" activity at IMS surrounding last month's Indy 500. Miles said, "I think we were open for 17 days and there were a lot of them where this was a fun place to be. But we don't have nearly enough entertainment content for people." Miles sent an e-mail to "every employee asking for recommendations," and he expects "most responses to center on improving current elements, but his goal is to 'invigorate' May." He said, "We'll think about whether there's a role on the road course in May; that's a question to be answered. Maybe there's other racing that can come here during the month" (INDIANAPOLIS STAR, 6/10).
Return to top

Related Topics:

Events and Attractions

Video Powered By - Castfire CMS Powered By - Sitecore

Report a Bug