SBD/May 31, 2013/Facilities

NFL Giants, Jets Renew Lawsuit To Halt American Dream Project At Meadowlands

Jets and Giants execs have been fighting the development proposal for over a year
The NFL Giants and Jets on Thursday "headed back to court ... in an effort to block the proposed expansion" of the $3.7B American Dream retail and entertainment complex in the Meadowlands, according to Ted Sherman of the Newark STAR-LEDGER. The teams, who play their home games at nearby MetLife Stadium, "requested a restraining order to stop the project in its tracks." The teams have been "fighting the development proposal for more than a year." Giants President & CEO John Mara earlier this week said that the teams "were not looking to kill the project." Mara: "Our endgame is to require the developers to agree to a reasonable traffic and parking plan, and restrict their operations on game day. They are unwilling to agree to anything." Mara added that the teams want project developer Triple Five to "close the waterpark and amusement park on game days." He said, "You can’t have thousands more people coming in and out of there at the same time. It doesn’t work" (NJ.com, 5/30). In New Jersey, John Brennan notes the Giants and Jets said that Triple Five's plan to "add water and amusement parks to the as-yet unopened complex would cause a game-day 'transportation nightmare' for their fans." The teams filed a "nearly identical suit last summer, but state Superior Court Judge Peter Doyne dismissed it as premature, coming as it did before the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority had voted on the master plan for the project." Two weeks ago -- after "months of failed negotiations with the teams -- that agency signed off on the expanded plan." Triple Five reps have said that construction at "both the new parks complex and the existing multi-colored shopping and entertainment segment was imminent" (Bergen RECORD, 5/31).
Return to top
Video Powered By - Castfire CMS Powered By - Sitecore

Report a Bug