Bettman Praises Shanahan's League Office Work MGM Cutting Ties With Top Rank? NWSL Eyes Elusive Stability, Viability Judge Denies NFL Concussion Settlement Selig Praises New Replay System Production Dips For Some NHL Clubs Post-Olympics Vikings, Twins Owners Want Expansion MLS Club La Russa Happy With Replay So Far Not All NHLers Like New Playoff Format Haas Bullish On New F1 Team
Upcoming Conferences and Events
SBD/May 6, 2013/Leagues and Governing Bodies
Boxing Keeps Searching For Growth As Mayweather Remains Key Draw
Published May 6, 2013
COMING UP NEXT: In Las Vegas, Steve Carp notes the Mayweather-Guerrero fight “attracted a crowd of 15,880” and “produced a live gate" of $9.99M. That will cover the $3M Guerrero earned "but won’t put a dent" in the $32M payday for Mayweather. Mayweather said the fight was “another steppingstone” in his deal with Showtime. Mayweather: “We’ve got five more fights, so we’ll see where I go from here.” Schaefer said that Alvarez “will fight at the MGM on Sept. 14," the same night Top Rank plans to have Timothy Bradley Jr. fight Juan Manuel Marquez at Thomas & Mack Center. If Mayweather “decides not to fight that night, Miguel Cotto is a likely possibility for Alvarez" (LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL, 5/6). Also in Las Vegas, Case Keefer reported Mayweather “promises” his next fight will come on Sept. 14 at MGM Grand. He is “determined to keep his six-fight contract with Showtime rolling.” He said that a hand injury incurred in the Guerrero fight “isn’t serious enough to sideline him” (LAS VEGAS SUN, 5/5).