Comcast Drops Plans To Acquire TWC Cablevision Offering Cord-Cutting Package MLB National Viewership Off To Good Start Mets Outpacing Yankees In Early Season Ratings Showtime, HBO Pleased So Far With Fight Effort Longtime Stars Announcer Strangis Leaving Team McHenry Returning To Previous Role NBCSN Gets Its Best F1 Audience Media Notes Disney Against New Verizon Bundle Plan
Upcoming Conferences and Events
SBD/February 11, 2013/Media
Padres' Fowler Hopes Face-To-Face Meeting With TWC Will Help End Carriage Dispute
Published February 11, 2013
KEEPING TEAM TOGETHER WAS PRIORITY: Fowler also touched on the team's quiet offseason in regards to player acquisitions. He said when the organization “looked at the team at the end of the last season, we made a conscious decision to keep the team intact, and we’ve done that.” He noted the franchise's first priority was keeping the current team together, then to "improve the team if we could what I call have a ‘price value’ situation out there." Fowler: "Personally, after talking to our baseball people, I think some of the values put on free agents were far higher than we thought they would be.” Padres Exec VP & GM Josh Byrnes “looked at a number of opportunities and made the decision that some of these things just didn’t make sense.” Noting that there is "going to be increased national media money coming” for the ‘14 season, Fowler said, "It looked like some teams wanted to spend it early.” He also denied the $800M sale price for the team has “inhibited” the team from being active in acquiring players. He stated if Byrnes “felt strongly we needed to make a move, … I would have made it. But he did not recommend moves” (“The Darren Smith Show,” XEPRS-AM, 2/8).