CMOs Highlight Brand Engagement Summit Montreal Mayor To Meet MLB's Manfred Pagliuca Meets With IOC On Bid Reform Workshop On Rays' Ballpark Today Big 12 To Announce Tourney Sites FIFA Scandal Dominates News Cycle FIFA To Go Ahead With Congress A-B InBev Monitoring FIFA Case O'Conner Adds MiLB Enterprises Title
SBD/January 15, 2013/MediaPrint All
The NHL lockout "did inflict damage" on MSG Network, as the company "could not patch all the schedule holes for a network that carries the Rangers, Islanders and Devils, and even the Sabres," according to Neil Best of NEWSDAY. But MSG has the "advantage of a long tradition and should recover quickly, especially if the Rangers pick up where they left off last season." The bigger challenge is faced by NBC Sports Network, "which launched one year ago relying on hockey to put it on the crowded media map." Its fall ratings without the NHL "were at times embarrassingly low." NBC Sports Exec Producer Sam Flood said, "Obviously on the business side, it's frustrating we lost three months of the season on the sports network. We made this partnership to grow the game and grow the network." Best notes NBC's broadcast channel "was less harmed because its hockey season does not ramp up until January, anyway." But Flood said that skipping the Winter Classic "was a bitter loss" (NEWSDAY, 1/15). MSG Net will broadcast "Rangers Training Camp Live," a two-hour look-in at the team's training camp session from the MSG Training Center hosted by Al Trautwig, tomorrow beginning at 11:00am ET. On Thursday at 8:00pm, MSG's weekly show, "Hockey Night Live," will make its season debut, also hosted by Trautwig. The show's panel of Dave Maloney, Billy Jaffe and Ken Daneyko will take an in-depth look at the Rangers, Devils, Islanders and Sabres (MSG).
PACKAGE STORE: In DC, Stephen Whyno reported NHL Center Ice "won't be free for fans after the lockout, and neither will NHL GameCenter Live." But both products "are being offered at a discount for the 48-game regular season." NHL Center Ice is available "for $49.99 on inDemand," and NHL GameCenter Live also is available "for $49.99" (WASHINGTONTIMES.com, 1/14).
NETMINDER ON THE NET: The NATIONAL POST's Cam Cole notes Canucks G Roberto Luongo has "just rehabilitated his tattered image among the faithful with a brilliant eight months' worth of self-parody on Twitter." Just as he is "about to be shipped elsewhere, he's been revealed as humble, honourable, hilarious." Luongo has "never acknowledged" the Twitter handle as his own, though yesterday he "came as close as he ever has in an interview." From that a "thin cloak of deniability sprang a personality so engaging, reporters are now reconsidering their haste in endorsing the passing of the goaltending torch" (NATIONAL POST, 1/15).
Brian Te'o, the father of Notre Dame LB Manti Te’o, "blacklisted the Honolulu Star-Advertiser because of how the newspaper portrayed his son on the front page” following Alabama’s victory over Notre Dame in the BCS National Championship, according to Paul Banks of CHICAGONOW.com. Brian Te’o last week posted this comment and a photo of the newspaper on the Manti Te’o “Official” Fan Club on Facebook: “Our family has been very gracious to the Star Advertiser by providing interviews and photos of our son in the recent weeks. On our way home from Miami we were ‘privileged’ to see how the Star Advertiser returns that favor by posting a photo of our son ‘presumably’ being ‘bowled over’ by the Alabama RB (Eddie Lacy). So, from this point forward, Star Advertiser you have been officially black listed. I will no longer agree to any more interviews, sharing of photos, or anything else, and I will encourage all who have a subscription to your newspaper to not renew” (CHICAGONOW.com, 1/13). In Indiana, Bill Beck noted the thread by the middle of last week “attracted more than 4,000 ‘likes’ and close to 1,100 comments, mostly bashing the publication for its lack of loyalty to Te’o.” But the thread by Friday “had been deleted” (ETRUTH.com, 1/14).