Quote of the Day
"What we're saying to the IOC and to the international sports federations is if you're not going to use them, could we have as many possible back because of course we've got lots of members of the public who would dearly love to go. We want to be completely upfront with the public: this is a negotiation, we don't have a right to demand these back."-- U.K. Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt, on a possible 30-minute ticket plan to ensure sellout crowds at future Olympic events. (BBC Radio 4, 7/30)
NBC earned a 21.7 overnight Nielsen rating last night from 7:00-11:15pm ET for Olympics coverage, marking the best overnight for the first Sunday of a non-U.S. Summer Olympics on record. The figure is behind only a 26.0 overnight for the ’96 Atlanta Games and a 26.9 for the '84 L.A. Games. Last night’s primetime coverage featured taped coverage of the men’s 4x100 freestyle relay -- which saw the U.S. squad finish second to France -- as well as U.S. swimmer Dana Vollmer earning a Gold Medal in the women’s 100 meter butterfly and the women’s gymnastics all-around qualifying. The 21.7 rating is up 2% compared to the first Sunday night during the '08 Beijing Games, when the eastern and central time zones saw live ...
Opening Ceremony described as "slightly insane," "whimsical, riotous."
While LOCOG scrambles to fill venues, sponsors say they aren't to blame for empty seats.
One of the Games' hottest tickets belongs to the raucous beach volleyball scene.
Kobe Bryant, NBA stars not happy about possible Olympic participation changes.
Browns sale to Jimmy Haslam could be final next month.
Taylor to sell 25% of T'Wolves, Lynx to undisclosed successor.
ESPN signs deal to air SEC-Big 12 Champions Bowl from '15-26.
NASCAR sees yet another attendance drop at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
- NBC Scores Viewer Records During First W...
- NBC Criticized For Tape Delay, Live Stre...
- Opening Ceremony Gets Mostly Rave Review...
- Empty Seats An Early Focus Of London Gam...
- Wembley Concessions Not Accepting Visa
- Beach Volleyball Proving To Be Hot Ticke...
- Olympic Cauldron Out Of Public View
- CCTV Lands China TV Rights To '14, '16 G...
- Solo Won't Be Disciplined for Twitter Ra...
- Texts, Tweets Blamed For Affecting TV Co...
- NBA Stars Speak Out Against Proposed Rul...
- Marketing Notes
- Olympics Names In the News
- Tweeting The London Games
- THE DAILY's Olympic Medal Stand
- Latest Headlines From SBD/SBJ's Olympic ...