Rogers Praised For Hiring Of Stroumboulopoulos CBS Bumping Up Tipoff Time Of NCAA Title Game Knicks To Own/Operate D-League Team Crew Negotiated Regional TV Blackouts ESPN "Bad Boys" Doc Set For April 17 Tech Review: WWE Network Media Notes Silver Details FiveThirtyEight Relaunch With ESPN MLS Crew Responds To TV Deal Backlash Stroumboulopoulos Expected To Host "HNIC"
Upcoming Conferences and Events
SBD/February 20, 2012/Media
New York Gov. Cuomo Says Fans' Clamoring For Lin Forced MSG, TWC Deal
Published February 20, 2012
CONSUMER DEMAND: MSG said Friday that it had "reached a tentative deal to put Knicks games back on television for some" 2 million TWC subscribers in the N.Y. area. A state official said that Lin's "phenomenal run forced the deal, along with the recent play of the Rangers." A source said that NBA Commissioner David Stern also "stepped in over the last two days" (AP, 2/17). In N.Y., Atkinson & Soltis noted since MSG was taken off TWC on Jan. 1, the cable company’s 2.8 million subscribers "missed a total of 149 Knicks, Devils, Rangers and Islanders games." Sources said that TWC was "overwhelmed with phone calls" Friday from subscribers "demanding a rebate for the lost MSG games" (N.Y. POST, 2/18). The WALL STREET JOURNAL's William Launder noted Nielsen figures indicated that the average number of households "watching Knicks games nearly doubled last week to 227,360 from 114,019." Ratings are "up more than" 130% compared with the "same point of last season" (WALL STREET JOURNAL, 2/18).