SBD/August 19, 2011/Franchises

Islanders Will Not Rebroadcast Brawl Game Against Penguins During Viewing Party

Islanders execs said the Feb. 11 game had other aspects the team found appealing
The Islanders will not rebroadcast their "infamous brawl-filled Feb. 11 game against the Penguins at a fan viewing party scheduled" for Friday, according to Stu Hackel of SI.com. Sources said that the "party will go on, but the Islanders and MSG Network have agreed to switch the game to a victory over the Sabres" in which RW Michael Grabner recorded a hat trick on the game-winning goal. Islanders Dir of Communications Kimber Auerbach said that MSG in May had "selected and scheduled eight games from last season to be shown this summer." Auerbach said that the Islanders "didn't choose the games," but did take "the opportunity to plan viewing parties around each of them." The Feb. 11 game "was just one" of the eight scheduled. Auerbach said that the game against the Penguins "had aspects to it, other than the brawl, that the Islanders found appealing." They scored "nine goals in that game, the first time they did anything like that since 2003." But the reaction to news of the viewing party "put the Isles in a bad light, so sometime during this week they contacted MSG Network and asked if it could replace the Feb. 11 game with another." That "was done on Thursday." Auerbach said, "That game is behind us and we want to look forward" (SI.com, 8/18). NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly earlier this week said, “We do not approve of the use, based on what we know.” Daly on Thursday “did modify his comments.” Daly: “As I understand it, the game selection issue was really MSG’s decision as opposed to the Islanders. Having said that, the Islanders proactively acted to change the selection, and prevailed” (NEWSDAY.com, 8/18).
Return to top

Related Topics:

New York Islanders, Franchises

Video Powered By - Castfire CMS Powered By - Sitecore

Report a Bug