NFL Appeals Judge's Peterson Decision NBPA's Roberts Questions Media Availability Major League Lacrosse Eyes Houston Expansion Big Papi Slams New Batter's Box Rule Bettman Hits On Range Of Topics MLB Briefing Teams On Pace-Of-Play Rules MLS, Union Still At Impasse On CBA League Notes Is Logano NASCAR's Latest Fresh, Young Star? Manfred Open To Shortening MLB Season
Upcoming Conferences and Events
SBD/May 23, 2011/Leagues and Governing Bodies
Published May 23, 2011
GROWING INTEREST: In New York, Derrick Ek noted there “have been ongoing discussions between local officials and LPGA executives in recent months about a possible return of the Corning Classic, and both sides say they’re optimistic it will happen -- although not in 2012.” Former Classic President Jack Benjamin said that the economy “hasn’t quite recovered enough yet to line up adequate sponsorship.” But he added that there “have been talks with former Classic title sponsor Corning Inc., as well as other potential sponsors.” LPGA Chief Communications Officer David Higdon said Commissioner Michael Whan and current tour management are “extremely interested” in returning to the area (CORNING LEADER, 5/22).
WINTER CLASSIC AT WEST POINT? In New Jersey, Tom Gulitti wrote Army’s Michie Stadium should be a site for the NHL’s Winter Classic. The facility is “located an hour-plus drive north from Manhattan at West Point, N.Y.,” and would “provide plenty of history and scenery plus an opportunity to honor those who serve in our military.” With Yankee Stadium “unavailable at least until 2014 because of the Pinstripe Bowl, Michie would give the NHL a controversy-free way to get New York as the home market and keep the Bronx alive as a potential future Winter Classic site” (Bergen RECORD, 5/21).
FROM START TO FINISH: The BBC's Andrew Benson noted F1 Management Chair Bernie Ecclestone is “considering moving the inaugural Indian Grand Prix to the end of the season to make room for Bahrain,” which had its season-opening date in March cancelled due to political unrest in the island nation. One option is "to move India from its 30 October date to 4 December, a week after the current final race in Brazil, and put Bahrain on India's date.” Ecclestone said, "I'm not sure at the moment what I'm going to do. Everything's up in the air. I haven't decided. We'll see if we have to go to Bahrain" (BBC.co.uk, 5/20).