NFL Keeping Vikings-Panthers In Charlotte Baldwin Wants AGs To Ask For Police Reviews Kaepernick Protest Captures National Attention Pacers' Turner Impressed By Fever For Demonstration Premier Boxing Champions Sees Declining Cards Tennis Officials Seek Ways To Speed Up The Game NBA, NBPA To Work With Players On Social Issues Newton Speaks Out In Wake Of Charlotte Riots PGA Tour Eyes Possible Schedule Changes London Discussing MLB Games With Manfred
SBD/March 25, 2011/Leagues and Governing Bodies
Bernard Has IndyCar Series On The Rise As '11 Season Gets Underway In St. Pete
Published March 25, 2011
BREAKTHROUGH YEAR? USA TODAY's Nate Ryan notes the changes to IndyCar this season include all races featuring "double-file restarts" and a $5M bonus for any non-IndyCar driver if he or she can win the season finale at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Ryan: "For a sport that has held tradition as sacred, the changes have been met with derision by some who fear creating a gimmicky vibe." But Bernard said that the "proof is that preseason ticket sales are up across the board." He said, "The three things I promised fans this year were entertainment, competition and value. It's very important to bring in the new fan. We have to bring new elements to showcase it" (USA TODAY, 3/23). When asked if this is the year that IndyCar "makes a big splash," Bernard said, "It's going to be a bigger splash than last year, I'm confident of that, and we're setting ourselves up because next year with ... Chevy, Honda and Lotus coming into our game it's going to make much more competition for 2012." Bernard added the series must " differentiate ourselves from NASCAR ... and every other genre of motorsports by being the fastest, most versatile race car and race car driver in the world" (Fox Business, 3/23).
MONDAY NIGHT SPECIAL? The INDY STAR's Cavin reports Bernard has "talked to Texas Motor Speedway president Eddie Gossage about staging a special" Izod IndyCar Series race at the track on a Monday night if the NFL "doesn't have a resolution" to the ongoing lockout. Neither Bernard nor Gossage is "ready to commit just yet, and Bernard said it might be mid-summer before a decision to move forward is made." Bernard: "It's all pie in the sky at this point, but I'm a firm believer that when one door closes on someone another one opens for someone else. We're ready to do anything and everything we can do to reach more mainstream, and I know the press will be hungry for more to cover if they're not covering football." Cavin notes there have been "exploratory conversations with television executives," and Versus "would have the right of first refusal" (INDIANAPOLIS STAR, 3/25).
SPREADING THE WORD: Bernard and several IndyCar drivers have been making the media rounds this week in advance of the season opener at St. Pete. Two-time defending IndyCar points champion Dario Franchitti appeared on CBS' "Late Show" Wednesday night and Helio Castroneves has been a guest on Fox Business and NBC's "Today" (THE DAILY). The AP's Michael Marot noted Bernard believes the fact that Versus is now run by NBC Sports "will create better promotional opportunities with NBC," such as Castroneves' "Today" appearance. Bernard: "It's an instant credibility in the sports world. They understand what they want to grow the network, and that's exciting to me" (AP, 3/23).