Cubs Detail Outfield Renovations At Wrigley MLB Giants Alter Mixed-Use Development Plans Facility Notes Cashman: Yanks Not Obligated To Pay A-Rod O's Get Home Touches For Relocated Series BMO Field Phase 1 Upgrades Nearly Done McGuire Emphasizes Subsidies For MLS Venue S.F. Official Downplays Concerns Over Warriors Arena MLB Relaxing Pace-Of-Play Fines Facility Notes
Upcoming Conferences and Events
SCHOTT BALLPARK INVOLVEMENT COULD LEAD TO MLB EXTENDING BAN
Published June 18, 1998
Reds Owner Marge Schott's "latest appearance" in Cincinnati's ballpark debate "has accelerated" MLB's scrutiny and "could lead to an extension of her suspension in the next few weeks, preventing her from ever running the Reds again," according to Geoff Hobson of the CINCINNATI ENQUIRER. A source close to MLB said the league doesn't want her involvement putting a deal for a Reds ballpark in "jeopardy." Another lengthy suspension of Schott could run through the expiration of the team's general partnership, which expires at the end of 2000. Last week, Schott said that she preferred the city's Broadway Common spot for a new park, while discussions with the team and Hamilton County were centered on the site known as the Wedge. But a source close to the ballpark talks said a deal on the Wedge site could come "as soon as next week." The county is reportedly "confident" that Schott would sign the MOU, but it is "unsure it can move forward with the project if she doesn't sign" it (CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, 6/17). County Commissioner Tom Neyer: "I know our attorneys are discussing with (Reds') attorneys the nature of the participating signatories. We expect Mrs. Schott to be an enthusiastic participant" (Geoff Hobson, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, 6/18).