Red Sox Willing To Go Over Luxury Tax Threshold Hurricanes Seeing Smaller Crowds So Far Orlando City's Rawlins Still A Fan First Franchise Notes Red Sox Spend Big With Ramirez, Sandoval Bills Say Stadium Will Be Ready For Sunday AHL Checkers Likely To Leave Hornets' Arena NFL Franchise Notes Bills Plan To Practice, Play In Buffalo This Week Rockies Brass Conducts Twitter Q&A With Fans
EXPOS' "SUBSTANTIAL" LOSSES FORCE THEM TO TIGHTEN BELT AGAIN
Published September 30, 1997
With a third "substantial loss in four years, members of the Expos' ownership consortium might soon have to dig into their pockets," according to Ian MacDonald of the Montreal GAZETTE. Expos President Claude Brochu said the club will finish with a C$13M shortfall this year after losing between C$6-7M in '96. Brochu said that the club received between C$9-10M in revenue sharing last year, "and it expects a little more this year." The Expos are also receiving an annual sum of C$4-5M from the expansion teams. Brochu: "[Revenue sharing] simply is not sufficient to cover expenses. ...[W]e'll know where we stand in all of this next spring. If there is enough interest in license sales and corporate boxes for us to go ahead with the [new] stadium planning, that's the way we'll go. If there is not, we will sell" (Montreal GAZETTE, 9/30). Brochu added that ticket prices will increase to '96 levels, after this year's experiment with cut-rate prices, which was, in Brochu's words, "a miserable failure" (GAZETTE, 9/29). BALLPARK UPDATE: Brochu said that all 1,300 of the most expensive C$10,000 seat licenses for a new ballpark have either sold or "will be sold" (Montreal GAZETTE, 9/29).