"Concussion" Trailer Puts NFL In Negative Light St. Louis Business Execs Stay Quiet On Rams Stadium Judge Says Deflategate Ruling Could Come Soon John Harbaugh "Curt" During Interview Temporary Tarp Place Over Roof At U.S. Open Chargers Earning Merit With Military Dolphins Unveil Sun Life Stadium Renovations Louisville Announces Stadium Expansion Plan NFLPA Unveils T-Shirt Line Honoring FDNY Lexus Gets Dallas Arena's Platinum Level Name
COMPLAINT COULD PREVENT JACK MURPHY STADIUM RENOVATIONS
Published December 11, 1995
The deal to keep the Chargers in San Diego for another 25 years is "perilously" close to failing, according to the SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE. A complaint filed last month by a group of local citizens could block the city from issuing $65M in bonds earmarked for expansion of Jack Murphy Stadium. Asst City Attorney Curtis Fitzpatrick said the city would have a hard time writing and guaranteeing the bond issue as long as the matter is in litigation. Further delays in construction could breach the lease extension signed between the Chargers and the city earlier this year. A special open session of the City Council is scheduled to meet this morning at which City Manager Jack McGrory is expected to present alternatives. The litigants want the bonds approved by voters, but the next election isn't until March 26. Barry Bloom notes, "considering the franchise flux" in the NFL, "this bomb couldn't have come at a worse time" (SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE, 12/9).