Jaguars' "Pokemon Go" Event A Success IHRA Expanding Global Reach Into Australia Under Armour's Q2 Earnings Dip Jackson Likely Leaving "Sunday NFL Countdown" Twitter Execs To Elaborate On Streaming Deals NFL, NFLPA To Jointly Probe Concussion Cases Kings Naming Street After David Stern Jason Collins Gives DNC Speech U.S. Cellular Field Hosting Rare Concert Harden, Farrell Star In Foot Locker Ads
SBD/23/Facilities VenuesPrint All
Tigers President John McHale says the issues of "financing, financing, and financing" loom large in the future of a new Tiger Stadium. Valarie Basheda of the DETROIT NEWS reports that McHale says that even if the state helps in the stadium effort, he "isn't sure" how the team can get the financing together. Last year, the Tigers lost $20M during the strike. As a result, Tigers Owner Mike Ilitch says he cannot offer the full $175M he originally promised to the effort. This, in addition to the team's "dwindling" profits and state lawmakers' unwillingness to commit tax money to "help out," have caused club officials to scale back plans for a $400M stadium to $200M-$250M. McHale: "There are a lot of big, tough issues to solve. I just can't sit here today and say I'm x-percent sure we can get it together" (DETROIT NEWS, 5/22).
A "key step" was taken yesterday in plans to build a convention and sports facility in Boston as the Patriots agreed to sign a reported 25-year lease and become the "main tenant" of the proposed megaplex, according to Richard Kindleberger in today's BOSTON GLOBE. Although no details were released, the team and members of the megaplex commission said they reached an "agreement in principle." Kindleberger notes, "Although signing the Patriots was seen as critical to advancing the project, the commission must still come up with other funding for the complex." According to commission co-chair Kevin Fitzgerald, "If a private corporation were to step forward with a major contribution, that could help clinch the deal." As reported in yesterday's SPORT BUSINESS DAILY, ITT is interested in investing in the megaplex (BOSTON GLOBE, 5/23). In the BOSTON HERALD, Phil Primack reports that the deal is worth $100M over 20 years, and negotiations will now continue with the Red Sox. State Sen. Robert Havern: "The Red Sox will be very happy with how this is concluded. We want the Red Sox to be involved in this deal" (BOSTON HERALD, 5/23).