More Than 50,000 Fans Flock To Travers Dodgers' Scully Says Next Year His Last In Role U.S. Open Set To Begin With Renovated Stadium Nationals Xerox Launching Campaign Around U.S. Open Road America Eyeing Sprint Cup Race Funding For Wilson's Family Pours In Fan Dies From Turner Field Fall Sonoma Looking To Be Finale Again For '16 Renovated Sun Life Stadium Gets Good Reviews
SBD/28/Sponsorships Advertising Marketing
THE MARLBORO MAN REMAINS IN THE 'STICK FOR NOW
Published April 28, 1995
The Marlboro sign at Candlestick Park "will be standing tall" when the Giants play their home opener today, according to the SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE. Last year, S.F. Board of Supervisors members wanted the sign removed, but Marlboro has a contract through '97 and removal "could have easily" led to a lawsuit against Sony Corp., which handles scoreboard ads at Candlestick. The city receives $250,000/ year from the sign a year as part of its Sony contract. S.F. Recreation and Parks Commission President Jack Immendorf said they were "willing to have the sign removed," but didn't want the liability. A commission resolution states if the Board wants the sign down, "they should put up money to fight the suit" (Matier & Ross, S.F. CHRONICLE, 4/28).