La Russa Happy With Replay So Far John Farrell Unhappy With New Replay System Padres Form Partnership With National Univ. MLB Rangers To Change Title Sponsor Signage MLB Sees Big Attendance For Saturday MLB Net's Petitti Now Reports To Bowman MLB Launches New Diversity Plan New Replay System Gets Mostly High Marks Warriors' Lacob Inquired About Buying A's Braves' Reworked TV Deal Pays Off
Upcoming Conferences and Events
SUIT AGAINST BASEBALL SETTLED WITHOUT A TRIAL
Published September 29, 1994
On the eve of their lawsuit against MLB, Vincent Piazza and Vincent Tirendi, two men who removed from the unsuccessful bid to move the Giants to St. Petersburg, reached a settlement with baseball officials. Both sides would only offer a short statement saying that they had reached an "amicable resolution," but sources revealed some specifics. MLB will agree to pay them more than $6M and declare that the owners were wrong in rejecting the two as possible owners. Piazza: "We got everything we wanted. We got money, and we got the apology." The settlement also stipluates that the two may apply again for ownership (Michael Bamberger, PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER, 9/29). TAMPA/ST. PETE GROUP IS WATCHING: Vincent Naimoli, who led the Giants bid and now retains local rights to any expansion effort, said he was pleased the suit was resolved. But Noam Neusner of the TAMPA TRIBUNE notes that videotaped depositions taken for the case "might come in handy" if Naimoli and St. Petersburg officials decide to "reactivate their now-dormant lawsuit" against MLB. Naimoli's attorney, John Higgins, said if Piazza and Tirendi "struck a deal guaranteeing them ownership of an expansion team elsewhere, and thus eliminating St. Petersburg from contention," then the city and Naimoli "could resurrect their court action" (TAMPA TRIBUNE, 9/29).