Game Changers: Jessica Gelman
Gelman with the Patriots’ AFC Championship ring,
her Ivy League title ring, her wedding ring and the net
from her record-setting Harvard basketball team.
VP, Customer Marketing and Strategy
Gelman, who led Harvard to two Ivy League basketball championships as a point guard, also has had a hand in the growing acceptance of analytics across sports as co-chair of the well-received MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference.
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received?: “Act as if.” No matter what you feel — tired, upset, disappointed — act as if you are at your best. From Kathy Delaney-Smith, my college basketball coach.
- What advice would you give to yourself 10 years ago?: Don’t settle, follow your passion — and invest in Google.
- Woman in sports business you’d most like to meet: Billie Jean King. She has had as big an influence on society (founding the Women’s Sports Foundation) as she has in business (founding a league and association).
- My vision of success is …: To have impact, be respected by those closest to me, and fully embrace life’s experiences.
- Outside of work and family, I’m spending a lot of my time on …: The next MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference and co-chairing the Harvard Basketball Friends Group.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
“Jessica is an extremely well-rounded professional. She excels at analytics and then translating the results of her analysis into operationals. She is an invaluable member of our team.”
- Jonathan Kraft, New England Patriots president