Nine people "involved in the construction project" for Serie A side AS Roma's proposed new stadium were arrested on Tuesday, including the "owner of the company contracted to build the state of the art facility," according to the AFP. Officers from the Italian police "swooped in the early hours to arrest people on a range of charges that include a criminal conspiracy to corrupt public officials." No one from AS Roma "has been arrested or charged by police." Among those taken into custody is construction company Eurnova Owner Luca Parnasi, whose company is "in line to build the new ground." Rome Mayor Virginia Raggi said, "Those who did wrong will pay. We're for legality. If everything is up to standard, then we hope that the project can go ahead" (AFP, 6/13). FOOTBALL ITALIA reported Roma President James Pallotta insists AS Roma has "nothing to do with the arrests." Pallotta said that the club was "strangers" to the controversy and that there "was no reason for any further delays." Pallotta said, "I don't see why this should concern us with regards to the stadium. Am I concerned? No. Like it's been officially said, Roma have nothing to do with it. All of this will have no influence on the stadium" (FOOTBALL ITALIA, 6/13).
Tottenham is set to announce on Thursday that it "will play at least one Premier League home game at Wembley next season due to delays in completing the construction" of its new £850M ($1.14B) stadium, according to Matt Hughes of the LONDON TIMES. It was revealed last month that the club "secured the right to return to the national stadium for a handful of matches," having used Wembley as its home for all of last season. That option has now been triggered, although the precise number of home games the club is "intending to move for remains unclear." Tottenham is planning an announcement to coincide with Thursday's publication of next season's Premier League fixtures, having been told by the EPL and the FA that it must inform them of its plans "by the fixture release date." The Premier League has given Tottenham the right to play its first three games away from home if required, as it has done for West Ham and Liverpool in recent seasons, but given that the club has "given up" on its new stadium "being ready in time" for the start of the next campaign, it "may opt to play at least one of these opening three fixtures at Wembley" (LONDON TIMES, 6/13).
League of Ireland Premier Division side Galway United’s board confirmed it "received an offer to take a majority shareholding in the club." A consortium in Saudi Arabia that has previous ties to a football club in its country reportedly approached the United board. At a Special General Meeting on Monday, Galway United's members will vote on "whether to accept the investment and cede the majority control of the club" (RTÉ, 6/13).
AC Milan President Yonghong Li "has finally found an economic partner willing to invest some money" in the club's hierarchy. Li reportedly found a new potential partner and Sky Sport provided "further details about him." Although "the identity of the businessman involved in the deal has not been revealed yet," agent Jorge Mendes is reportedly "now in Singapore to negotiate with a businessman of Malaysian nationality living in Singapore" (CALCIO MERCATO, 6/13).