Australian Tennis Player Bernard Tomic's Father Says His Son Wasn't Dumped By IMG
Australian tennis player Bernard Tomic's father and coach, John, "has vigorously challenged reports that his son was dumped by his long-time management company, IMG, claiming the Tomics instigated the recent contractual release" and that the former world No. 27's rankings decline after double hip surgery had helped him to avoid a A$1.5M ($1.4M) early-exit penalty, according to Linda Pearce of THE AGE. Tomic Sr. said that "he had sought an end to the IMG deal for about 18 months, but only now was it able to be negotiated without financial penalty." An IMG spokesperson confirmed on Wednesday that "the relationship ended by mutual consent on July 14." John Tomic said, "Bernard left IMG -- IMG didn't sack, didn't dump Bernard. That is strongly 110 percent true story. One-and-a-half year we are looking to leave IMG ... but they look to us for A$1.5 million to pay to them to let us go." Tomic "would not be drawn on the specifics, but said there had already been 'plenty' of interest from rival firms, and acknowledged that much would depend on his son’s results" (THE AGE, 7/23).