Ghana Players Boateng, Muntari Kicked Out Of Squad Ahead Of Portugal Game
The Ghana FA announced that Ghana midfielders Sulley Muntari and Kevin-Prince Boateng "have been suspended indefinitely from the national team and sent home from the World Cup in Brazil for disciplinary reasons," according to the London TELEGRAPH. The association claimed the decision to suspend Muntari "was taken in the wake of his unprovoked physical attack on an Executive Committee member of the GFA and a management member of the Black Stars, Mr Moses Armah on Tuesday 24th June, 2014 during a meeting." In separate statements on its website the Ghana FA said the decision to suspend Boateng was "taken following Boateng’s vulgar verbal insults targeted at coach Kwesi Appiah during the team’s training session in Maceio this week. Boateng has since showed no remorse for his actions which has resulted in the decision." Ghana lost 2-1 to Portugal on Thursday and was eliminated from the World Cup (TELEGRAPH, 6/26). In London, David Hills wrote Boateng confirmed he had been sent home, but denied the charges, telling the German magazine Sport-Bild, "Sulley Muntari and I were just joking around, and the coach stopped the session and sent us back to the changing room. Afterwards I went to him and asked what he had against me and he started yelling. He insulted me. There were words like, 'F*** off.'" Boateng said he "absolutely accepts" his suspension, but added, "No one should think I insulted the coach" (GUARDIAN, 6/26).