Names In The News
Shooting on a still-untitled movie chronicling the life of PELE "has just kicked off in Brazil." And "waiting on the bench for their moment in front of the cameras are some new arrivals to the cast:" VINCENT D'ONOFRIO, RODRIGO SANTORO, COLM MEANEY, SEU JORGE and DIEGO BONETA are all "unpacking their away kit." D'Onofrio is "up for the role" of the Brazilian team coach VINCENTE FEOLA, who was responsible for "discovering" Pele. Pele is being played "by two newcomers:" LEONARDO LIMA CARVALHO "will play the star aged 10," and KEVIN DE PAULA "will take over from the ages of 13 to 17" (EMPIRE ONLINE, 10/3). ... South African Premier side Lamontville Golden Arrows coach MANQOBA MNGQITHI "bizarrely quit" just hours after "a surprise cup win at highly fancied BidVest Wits, claiming it was for the good of the club" (SOWETAN LIVE, 10/7). ... Throwing their weight behind badminton player JWALA GUTTA, several former players have described the Badminton Association of India disciplinary committee's recommendation of a life ban on the star doubles player as "ridiculous and harsh." Former national champion Arvind Bhat said, "It is a very harsh decision. I think BAI could have dealt with it in a quieter way and not go to the press and defame her in this way" (PTI, 10/7). ... EPL Queens Park Rangers Manager HARRY REDKNAPP has "blasted" the FA, claiming the people who run the English game "haven’t got a clue" and could not "show him a new manager if his life depended on it." Redknapp "was the clear favourite for the England job last year," when FABIO CAPELLO resigned, but the FA instead decided to appoint ROY HODGSON, who was then West Brom manager. Redknapp: "This isn't about them giving the England job to me or Roy Hodgson, but English football being run by people who really haven't got a clue. And they get to pick the England manager" (London INDEPENDENT, 10/7). ... Suspended Indian cricketer S. SREESANTH "opposed in a court here the plea of Delhi Police seeking cancellation of bail granted to him" in the Indian Premier League spot-fixing scandal case. Sreesanth said the allegations levelled against him were "completely non-existent" and it does not disclose his involvement with the alleged organized crime syndicate (PTI, 10/7). ... F1 team Sauber has "ruled out bringing back veteran driver" RUBENS BARRICHELLO to the sport next season. Team principal MONISHA KALTENBORN "had left the door open" earlier in the week when asked about reports of Barrichello returning at the age of 41, but "closed it on Saturday." She said, "I am ruling out that he would drive for us" (NEW ZEALAND HERALD, 10/5).