UEFA on Tuesday banned Turkish sides Fenerbahçe and Besiktas from European competition after an investigation into match-fixing allegations. Turkish league runner-up Fenerbahçe is excluded from participating in the next three UEFA club competitions for which it qualifies, including the '13-14 Champions League. The ban for the third season is deferred for a probationary period of five years. Besiktas, which finished third, is banned from next year's Europa League. UEFA also ruled Romanian champion Steaua Bucharest out of the next European competition it qualifies for, a sanction deferred for a probationary period of five years for a breach of Champions League participation regulations (UEFA).
Leagues and Governing Bodies
An initiative to force fans attending any sports event in Russia to bring ID with them "has been killed off," according to R-SPORT. The head of the Russian parliament's sports committee said that the government "will decide when the rule will be applied on a case-by-case basis." Russia "is trying to address an ingrained hooliganism problem by passing a bill that toughens up security at arenas as well as the punishment for law-breakers." Forcing fans to show their ID to gain entry to stadiums "had been a part of the new legislation," which passed in a second reading on Friday, but new amendments "rule it out unless the government intervenes" (R-SPORT, 6/25).
New legislation "enabling the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority to demand documents from athletes or others involved in an investigation has been described as a 'game changer' in the case against" National Rugby League and Australian Football League players, according to Brad Walter of the SYDNEY MORNING HERALD. While players "will still have the right not to incriminate themselves, ASADA can compel them to attend interviews and to hand over records of text messages and emails." Under the wider powers granted to ASADA, "anyone who does not comply with a disclosure notice" issued by CEO Aurora Andruska faces a fine of up to A$5,100 ($4,700) (SMH, 6/26).
Investigations into the spot-fixing case have revealed that more than Rs. 250 crore ($42M) in betting transactions were being made per Indian Premier League match "through a network of bookies operating under the protection of conduits of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and his lieutenant Chhota Shakeel," according to Devesh K. Pandey of THE HINDU. The three top bookies, Ramesh Vyas, Ashwini Aggrawal alias Tinku Mandi, and Feroze Ansari, "have been found to have direct links with Javed Chutani, a close aide of the two underworld dons, said to be operating from Mumbai." He "is yet to be arrested." The investigations have also revealed that Mandi had made over a dozen trips to Dubai "during which he is suspected to have held meetings with bookies operating from there." Interestingly, Mandi was also maintaining an account with the website betfare.com, "a sub-account of another bookie operating under the codename Chhota Nagpur" (THE HINDU, 6/25). The PTI reported Rauf, "who is being investigated in the IPL spot-fixing scandal, and long-serving New Zealander Billy Bowden" were Tuesday dropped from the Int'l Cricket Council Elite Panel of Umpires after an annual review of their performance. Rauf, who is being probed for allegedly taking expensive gifts from suspected bookies, and Bowden "have been replaced by former Test cricketers Richard Illingworth and Paul Reiffel" (PTI, 6/25).
The "dysfunctional Lawn Tennis Association, having to explain another dismal Wimbledon for British players," is trying to distance itself from a financial scandal at county level, according to Charles Sale of the London DAILY MAIL. The Yorkshire LTA has "severed connections with treasurer David Rainey after an investigation by auditors discovered a six-figure sum had gone missing from the accounts." Rainey "was running the finances of the county association despite having been suspended as treasurer by Doncaster Lawn Tennis Club, where club members were told at their annual meeting he was using club money for 'his own purposes.'" Rainey, 58, said at the time, "It is correct I have been suspended and it is correct that £40,000 has been repaid with interest." A Yorkshire LTA statement said, "We have established that misappropriation of some of our funds had taken place. The loss, although extremely regrettable, will not impair the governance and promotion of tennis in Yorkshire" (DAILY MAIL, 6/24).