Nürburgring Operators Cancel Talks With Bernie Ecclestone About '13 German Grand Prix
The difficulties of the financially struggling Nürburgring racetrack increase by the minute, which means the chances of hosting the 2013 Grand Prix of Germany become slimmer and slimmer, according to the DPA. Mercedes Motorsport Dir Norbert Haug said, "The situation at the Nürburgring is very serious and therefore anything but pleasant." The negotiations between racetrack tenants and liquidators have stalled and could lead to a long-term battle in court. At the same time, preparations for the Grand Prix's likely alternative, the Hockenheimring, "have not even begun and are already on a tight schedule." Hockenheim Mayor Dieter Gummer said, "We have already entered the Christmas sales period for the 2013 events, and it would be very difficult to put together a Formula 1 race in such a short time." The 2013 Grand Prix of Germany is scheduled for July 14. Gummer said, "It would be without a doubt problematic. Usually the promotion for the next event starts with the end of the previous one." Talks with F1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone scheduled for Nov. 8 had been canceled by Nürburgring racetrack operators. Nürburgring spokesperson Karl-Heinz Steinkühler said that, "at the moment, operators do not see chances for further talks as long as liquidators do not move in their direction." Given the stalled situation at the Nürburgring, it is surprising that Ecclestone "has not been in talks with Hockenheimring representatives about a replacement race." Gummer: "We are in constant contact [with Ecclestone], but negotiations about a Formula 1 event at Hockenheim in 2013 have never taken place" (DPA, 11/14).