Newco Rangers Set To Accept 12-Month Transfer Ban
Newco Rangers are "set to accept a 12-month transfer ban in return for SFA membership," leaving Manager Ally McCoist just six weeks to bring new players to Ibrox, according to Scott McDermott of the Scotland DAILY RECORD. Rangers admitted they would have to agree to the ban even though they "insisted the SFA had jumped the gun by claiming an agreement had already been reached." Rangers Chair Malcolm Murray said, “For clarity, we have not signed any agreement yet and believe the SFA’s statement to be premature. The choice is stark – take sanctions or risk not playing football at all." A compromise with Hampden chiefs will allow Owner Charles Green’s newco "to make signings before the embargo starts" on Sept. 1, as a condition of their membership application being "rubber-stamped." Green will also agree to pay the £160,000 ($250,000) fine dished out as a result of Rangers "going into administration and bringing the game into disrepute" (DAILY RECORD, 7/21). In Glasgow, Andrew Smith reported that McCoist has claimed he will "never accept any talk of stripping the club of titles," and that "everyone at the club shares this view." McCoist was "one of those representing Sevco Scotland in the talks with the SFA over the terms of the membership transfer. He revealed that he "cut short his role in the discussions over his unhappiness at how the process was going." McCoist said, "I had to leave the final meeting as I could not support the sanctions they were trying to impose. The decision has already been taken to place Rangers in Division Three and we have accpeted that, along with many more punishments. However, operating with an embargo on an already depleted first team squad -- even with a window to sign players -- will make the task ahead an extremely difficult one (SCOTSMAN, 7/22).