Attendance Roundup: Solheim Cup Draws Estimated 25,000 Fans
The U.S. players at the Solheim Cup in Des Moines, Iowa, are "having a blast, imbued by the patriotism and energy of the event," which yesterday was played "in front of an estimated 25,000 fans" (ESPN.com, 8/20).
- Sporting KC yesterday had their "100th straight sellout inside Children's Mercy Park" for their win over FC Dallas. The stadium "welcomed a crowd of 19,869 fans" (K.C. STAR, 8/20).
- The Orioles yesterday in their game against the Angels "welcomed back members of the first team to play at Camden Yards as part of the ballpark's 25th anniversary celebration," in front of a "packed crowd of 43,929" (Baltimore SUN, 8/20).
- The Raiders "drew a sellout crowd of 53,659" against the Rams in their first home preseason game (AP, 8/20).
- The ATP/WTA Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati is "on pace to break attendance records," as "nearly 13,000 fans have filled the Linder Family Tennis Center for each session" (WLWT.com, 8/18).
- Boxer Terence Crawford defeated Julius Indongo by knockout in the third round last night, "electrifying the crowd of 12,121" at Pinnacle Bank Arena in Omaha (ESPN.com, 8/19).
- The NWSL Portland Thorns yesterday defeated the Houston Dash "in front of a season-high home crowd of 19,672" (Portland OREGONIAN, 8/20).