MSG Nets Increases Programming, Fan Initiatives For NHL Restart
With the NHL Rangers and Islanders back in action Saturday, MSG Networks is rolling out new fan-engagement initiatives in addition to an increased lineup of original hockey programming to get fans ready for the league's return. Below is a snapshot of what the net is launching from a programming, fan-engagement, broadcast-integration and partnership perspective:
- The Rangers and Islanders will hold viewing parties via Zoom with fans so they can still have a way to be together during the game while being socially distant. MSGN plans to integrate these fans into the broadcasts themselves. The net will have coverage of at least the first three games of each team's series.
- The net is partnering with Postmates to reward some fans with free lunches (at least four Rangers/Islanders games in the qualifying round are taking place around lunch time, noon ET).
- A Watch from Home, Win from Home promotion that will reward select fans who have been quarantining and staying inside with team-themed prize packages.
Original programming will include:
- MSG Hockey IQ: An NHL-themed trivia show featuring Sam Rosen, Joe Micheletti, John Giannone, Steve Valiquette, Brendan Burke, Butch Goring and Shannon Hogan.
- Around the NHL: A new weeknight hockey program providing fans with an inside look into the latest news and info from around the NHL hosted by Michelle Gingras, alongside Anson Carter.
- Rangers Return to Play Preview: A breakdown of the upcoming Rangers/Hurricanes series.
- Islanders Return to Play Preview: A breakdown of the upcoming Islanders/Panthers series.
For more on the net’s plans and perspective on the return of the NHL this weekend, check out today's episode of the SBJ Unpacks podcast with MSGN Senior VP/Marketing & Content Strategy Kevin Marotta.